Important Themes and Ideas
- Magic is waning, and its practice can lead to madness.
- The Church of Britannia preaches this is expected, as Sorcery is a gift from the enemy of Man – the Legions of terror from the ages past which will come again if we embrace the magic.
- Sosaria is about exploration as much as anything else. Much is thought to be lost or to have never existed at all. Go find the truth.
- Technology in cities is equivalent to about the early renaissance.
- The major cities and surrounding forts and strongholds are points of light in an otherwise fairly dangerous world. It would be rare to find an unprotected village, homlet or hovel.
- Life is often not as simple as we would like, and the “human perspective” isn’t always the one we might end up most identifying with.
- Certain symbols have important meanings so be on the lookout for them. The Thean Cross represents the Church. The candle, the book, the horn and the Ankh relate to the precepts of Lord British. The Serpent often represents the lands of Sosaria, and the while the star of Chaos often refers to evil (sometimes simplified to just an “*” ), it can also mean just another view of the world.